NGOs in USA
NGO is acronym for Not Governmental Organization. An NGO is an organization which is not associated with the government or any business that is set up for profit. There are many NGOs operating all across the world.
NGOs are mainly funded by any government or non-government body. There are approximately 1.5 million NGOs estimated in the USA.
Some of the them are as follows:
- CRY America : It is an NGO that works for child welfare. It aims at providing equal rights among all children. It has a vision of providing a large number of opportunities to underprivileged children for making their dreams come true. The number of donors supporting CRY America is about 20,855. There are about 2,000 dedicated volunteers who are associated with the NGO. A total of almost 70 projects have been carried out by this organization in India and in USA. With its continuous efforts, the organization has been successful in touching the lives of more than 600,558 children.
- America Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) : It was formed in 1848 as a national scientific community in the USA. It promoted the advancement of science and engineering on the national scale. Today, it is an international non-profit organization with the vision of developing science to benefit one and all. The goals of the organization include enhancement of communication among public and scientists as well as engineers,. strengthening support for science enterprises , increasing public involvement in science and technology
- The Global Fund : It is an international non- profit organization aiming at fighting Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome(AIDS) , Tuberculosis and Malaria. Investing more than US$4 billion per year, the organization is run by local experts. The Global Fund has a partnership between government s, private and civil sectors and most importantly with the people who are affected and are suffering from these diseases. The aim is to accelerate the eradication of these fatal diseases as well as to put an end to epidemics. The strategy that has been planned for 2012-2016 is to invest for impacting the three diseases, hence the tag line “Invest for Impact”. The Global Fund has a vision of protecting human rights. Hence, the human rights barriers are focused to be removed among sex workers, transgender people, people in prison etc. It is being taken care of that the programs held by The Global fund do not tend to violate human rights.
- The World Bank : It started as an institution in 1944 and today it has expanded to a group of five development institutions. The mission got its motivation from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) to facilitate post-war reconstruction. Today, though reconstruction is an integral part of the organization, eradicating poverty by sustainable globalization is also a main focus of The World Bank. the five groups associated together are The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The International Development Association, The International Finance Corporation, The Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency and The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes. by 2030, The World Bank aims to drop the percentage of people earning less than $1.25 per day to 3%. Another goal for the same timeline is to promote growth of income of the bottom 40% of all countries in the world.
- There are many more NGOs like USAID, International Diabetes Federation (IDF), American Thoracic Society (ATS) etc. operating in the USA. They have been successful in reaching their aims with the help of generous donors and volunteers. This definitely boosts up their determination and helps them to fight with the potential problems of the society.