10 NGOs in New York (NY) that are most active during disasters
As we all know, a disaster may cause great damage and even loss of life. It can be a sudden accident or a natural catastrophe. In the unfortunate event of disaster, affected people need assistance to recover from the loss.
Here are a few NGOs in New York that are most active during disasters:
- Food Bank for New York City: It plays a major role in providing food to affected communities during disasters. Being one of the largest food bank of The United States of America, The Food Bank for New York City delivered food and water to the areas which were hardest –hit when the disaster of Hurricane Sandy struck. They ensured the continuous supply of food.
- UJA Federation of New York: They provide quick and potent relief in the tragic events of disasters. They have created a Relief Fund for those who were impacted by the Hurricane Sandy. Temporary shelters and emergency relief centers were established by them in the attacks of 9/11.They played a vital role in providing relief to communities affected by South Asian Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina and earthquake in Haiti by raising funds and sending volunteers to help people in building new homes.
- American Red Cross: The American Red Cross strives to prevent and relieve suffering of people who are in need. It addresses over 70,000 disasters in the United States annually. Among the disasters to which American Red Cross respond, are disasters affecting a single family like home fires to hurricanes affecting thousands of families and earthquakes affecting millions. In case of these events, shelter, food, health and mental services are provided by the Red Cross to help families to overcome the disaster.
- The Salvation Army: Salvation Army provides wide variety of services to disaster survivors. The services provided by the Salvation Army are specific to individual’s need. The services mainly include direct financial assistance, food, shelter and medical services. They have actively responded to the floods in Oklahoma. The main focus area of the Salvation Army is to provide material, physical, spiritual and emotional comfort.
- Children’s Disaster Services: Children’s Disaster Services (CDS) is a volunteer workshop set up by Church of the Brethren. CDS has set up child care centers in disaster assistance centers to meet the needs of the traumatized children. The volunteers make the children feel safe in the midst of hurricanes, wildfires, floods or any other disaster.
- NYC Medics: NYC Medics provide the highest level of medical assistance to people in remote areas in disaster affected zones. They specialize in accessing difficult to reach areas and have mobile medical teams. They are a team of doctors, nurses, paramedics, physician assistants and experienced disaster relief experts that provide initial aid to the affected people and hence make the task of larger organizations easy.
- 7. New York Cares: It is a leading agency in responding to citywide emergencies. The organization mobilizes volunteers to disaster affected areas to set up relief projects. The immediate needs of housing and food are put on priority by the organization. Long term needs like education and employment are met by working with community institutions like schools, libraries, churches etc.
- New York Disaster Interfaith Services (NYDIS): It is a group of charitable organizations and service providers who work together to provide disaster recovery services to the New York City. It serves the most susceptible and under-resourced communities affected by disaster.
- All Hands Volunteers: It is an NGO which meets the immediate as well as long term needs of people affected by natural disasters with the help of volunteers and partner organizations. The NGO is devoted to connect those who are in need to those who wish to help.
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR): It is a non-profit organization that strives to help lessen the suffering of people. It responds to natural disasters by providing necessary supplies and physical as well as psychological care to the affected people. It help communities to recover from disaster on their own. UMCOR also provides training on disaster preparedness.